Here is the block diagram for the new layout.
It's really simple - honest! The pieces are:
- NCE PH-Pro - the main controller of the layout. This is the heart of DCC.
- The handset (T shaped piece bottom left)
- Programming track (prog) for programming engines
- Track - which gets broken down into 3 districts each with their own short circuit protection
- UTP panel - central point for connecting the cab bus
- NCE AIU - auxiliary input unit for taking in random inputs - there will be 2 of these
- DBD22 - detects occupancy of a section of track - there will either be 3 or 6 of these
- Lenz LS150 - point controllers, there will be 2 of these
- Computer - any old laptop that can run JMRI
- USB to Serial converter - most DCC systems have serial connectors. Most laptops don't :-(
I can't be truly definitive as to how many wires there will be as the goods yard has not been designed yet. However, my initial calculation is that I will have over 200 wires to put on this layout.
If that wasn't bad enough I've worked out I need 3 different power supplies!